Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My aunt's cabin

I can't wait to visit my home town this summer. I usually spend Easter there too. This year, however, I didn't get the chance to go, so I'm really, really homesick. Even though I've lived half my life away from it, I still call my beloved stretch of North sea coast home. It's truly where my heart is. Every time I go, one of my top priorities is to spend a day at my aunt's cabin. It's at a place that, according to my vocabulary, is pretty close to paradise.

The cabin is tiny and was built right after WW2. It has wood cladding, on both the exterior and interior, and is by no means great architecture. The beauty is in the wild flowers in the windowsill, the embroidered cushions, the old pots and pans, the woven wall hangings. It's not even meant to be either "vintage" or any other kind of style, she's just gathered what she needs there. She has an orange Cathrineholm bowl there that she uses for biscuits, but she has no idea of how sought after they are....

My aunt and uncle's farm is just 5 minutes away, and my aunt mainly uses the cabin to spend a few hours walking the beach, picking some wild flowers and having some coffee while watching the weather and the gorgeous scenery. My uncle doesn't have the patience... Even though she has 6 (!!) daughters, she always makes time to spend a day there with us, because she knows I appreciate it so much. She brings along some homemade cake and coffee in a basket. There is no water, so we do the dishes by hand afterwards with hot water from a thermos.

We always go for a long walk along the beach that she has right outside her doorstep, it's one of the widest and most beautiful in the area, and the one that has the tallest sanddunes. We walk the beach on our way north, and often walk behind the ridge of dunes on our way back. On the beach we find driftwood, bottles from the North sea shipping lanes, stranded jellyfish, polished stones and beach flowers. In the sheltered area behind the dunes there's rich plantlife and you can find all kinds of strange insects. There is a lot of birdwatching, as this is the point where the migrating birds from all over the country leave our shores for warmer ones in the fall, and where the first ones are seen back in the spring.

I'll leave you with pictures from my visit there last summer, and hopefully there will be some new ones in a couple of months:-) I will try to get some decent pictures of a really beautiful piece of architecture nearby, a small museum of the area's flora and fauna, designed by a local architect who, sadly, passed away too early. He really grasped the characteristics of the landscape.






 


 


 
 





 

 



 



 

12 comments:

  1. That is so wildly beautiful...and so very different from the landscape of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Dana! I'm so glad you like it, I can't wait to go this summer! Yes, it's very different to Texas:-) I'm curious, did you grow up close to where you live now?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. And I would also have to say, so very different from the seascape we have here at Sydney's Northern Beaches in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Esa (first name, right?) Thanks, I'm so glad you like my photos! I've just been admiring yours, they're gorgeous! Thank you so much for leaving a comment so I could discover your great blog!

      Delete
  3. Det lyder så dejligt! En rigtig feriedag. /Birgitte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk, Birgitte! Ja, for meg er dette en perfekt sommerdag:-) På denne kysten går man tur langs strendene året rundt, det behøver ikke nødvendigvis å være godt vær. Jeg syns en grå himmel gir vel så flotte farver på landskapet!

      Delete
  4. Vackert vackert vackert! Jag förstår att du längtar dit =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Å, takk skal du ha!! Ja, jeg elsker virkelig mitt hjemsted og prøver å reise så ofte jeg kan. Men du vet, med jobb, barn og alle aktiviteter som følger med, er det ikke så lett å reise alltid... Kanskje derfor jeg fyller huset med Stavangerflint og Figgjo:-)

      Delete
  5. Oh Tove no wonder you love to go for a visit! It's so beautiful and seems so untouched. Thanks for all the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so so much, Francine! And you're very welcome:-) I'm so glad the area can be experienced as untouched as it is. The coastline, consisting of both sandy and Stoney beaches, has been declared a nature reserve, so people who want to build and privatize the coast have to go elsewhere:-)

      Delete
  6. On youtube there's a video tour (probably done by some Japanese tourist) of Tove Jansson's summer house in the archipelago of Finland. That video was suggested to me a long time ago by one of my blog readers. It's seared into my memory and I think of it often, because to me, a house doesn't have to be posh or expensive to generate love and creativity. Tove Jansson is up there with the creatives. I love your aunt's cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I'm not drawn to the posh and expensive at all!! I'm sooo curious about Tove Janssons cabin, I have to head over to Youtube right away. I love her universe, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna share your enthusiasm about it, thanks for telling me about it:-) I'm so glad you like my aunt's place!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...