Monday, September 24, 2012

Hunting for new storage

Lately, I've been on the lookout for some new storage for my living room. I absolutely love the 60s shelving systems like Cadouvius and Tomado that you could combine according to your needs. Not only do they look extremely cool, they're also practical. But I find it hard to find the combination I need here, and if it turns up, and in good condition, it's sooo expensive. It would also be great to be able to extend it later.

I started searching on the internet for a shelving system from that golden era that is still in production today. I got two hits, and they are both really great.

The first one is the String System, designed by swedish architect Nils Strinning in 1949. It's quite similar to the Tomado shelving and comes in several colors as well as wood veneers. Kitka Toronto displays a great combo in white, have a look here. I'm after something in wood veneer, teak or walnut. They look very good with the choice of black sides.




 
The other great shelving system I found is the 606 Universal shelving system produced by Vitsoe, and designed in 1960 by the grand old man of design, Dieter Rahms, the guy behind many iconic designs, like these for Braun:
 


 
The shelving is slightly more industrial looking than the String, but I think it's amazing in all its glorious simplicity.
 
 
 
 
Decicions, decicions.... What made the choice a bit easier was the pricing. The Vitsoe costs a fortune. So, some weeks ago, I ordered the String in walnut with black sides. It will arrive this coming week or the next, I will show you when it's all mounted and presentable!                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...